About Me

My photo
I am a biology teacher by day but a crazy triathlete and runner at all other times.

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Ironman - coming to see us

I was thinking this morning (like every other morning) about how excited we are about Ironman. We are so excited that we sent out an e-mail to about 40 people letting them know about our debut in the Iron distance. Joe and I are the type of people who don't talk a lot about our events unless we are asked because we know that other people don't necessarily enjoy things like this. We have made our lives revolve around training and participating in events but understand that others are not really into that and that is fine. So, we don't usually ask people to come and watch our events unless they express interest. This time is different though. Joe and I are so excited and awed by this distance and we need spectator support this time because we are going to be working out for at least 11 hours (in Joe's case) or in my case between 15 and 16 1/2 hours!!! So, we invited everyone. We want those around us, family and friend, to come and see this event that we are so awed and moved by and even if you are not an athlete this event is moving. It brings tears to my eyes every time someone crosses that finish line not because of what they have accomplished in that day but what they have accomplished in the year that preceded that day. And now, we want others to come and celebrate with us this monumental accomplishment. Joe and I have already gotten married (on a fabulous day last June), we will probably never be having children, so this is our accomplishment that we want our friends and family to be a part of with us. We know that this may require planning on the part of our friends and family but we are so excited to have this be an accomplishment that both Joe and I can celebrate and our family and friends can celebrate with us. I want everyone to get the feeling that anything is possible just by watching this fabulous event especially the smaller ones of our group (in one of our friends case - a 5 month old baby!!! I won't give her away yet!!) I just hope that this feeling of excitement and want to share this with others will be well received as this is really important to us. Joe and I realize that all of our friends and our families have lives of their own but we just want to feel supported on the 2nd most fabulous day of our lives (the first of course was our wedding!)

No comments: