About Me

My photo
I am a biology teacher by day but a crazy triathlete and runner at all other times.

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Another Mini Tri in Lake Placid

I did not realize that I PRed last night at the Monday Night Mini Tri until just now! How exciting. I actually thought that I really sucked in comparison last night. I felt awful last night for the most part. My swim was really difficult as I just couldn't catch my breath and I got a couple of mouthfuls of water in the process but it ended up being really good. My bike was tough but because there was this 12 year old girl that was right in front of me I just kept pushing. My run felt slow and I had some abdominal issues (an injury that I have been wrestling with for the past year) that made me feel slow. But overall, I guess I did really well as for the third week in a row, I PRed. I can't believe it. The end was what helped me. I heard footsteps behind me in the last 200 meters of the race and refused to have someone pass me here so I gave it all I had left (which wasn't a lot) and he got right up on my back and told me "Good work" and I thought that he was going to pass me. He didn't though. For those of you who know me, this was not my type of race outcome - if you are going to get right behind me and not pass me before the finish line, then you let me win. This was not cool for me. As I went over to Joe, he was laughing a bit and told me that the guy behind me was just running around the lake and not part of the mini-tri but pushed me in. So, he actually helped me to PR. I felt awful though at the end. I have PRed a lot this year in all different kinds of races. What strikes me the most is how bad you feel at the end when you PR. You have left all of your guts, sweat, sometime blood out on that course and you feel completely spent!!! That is how I felt yesterday, like someone had hit me in the chest and legs with a baseball bat. I was done. Joe says that that is how you are supposed to feel when you give it your all and I agree but does it really have to feel so bad. The best part is the next day when you feel like yourself again and are so proud of yourself for having accomplished something that you didn't think possible. But then again, that is how I feel about everything I am doing lately. Who would have thought that I would have done the Tinman or would be doing the Ironman??? Not me 5 years ago but here I am. So, everyday is work toward an ultimate goal and I am getting faster all of the time. That is really exciting!

Rundown of 3rd mini tri of the season:
Swim: Fastest of the year - 9:37.90
T1: 2:02.31 (yuck - couldn't get my wetsuit off)
Bike: 45.16.88 (not a bad time)
T2: 1:32.95 (slow - I think I thought that I wasn't doing well so I slowed down in transition)
Run: 29:20.36
Total time; 1:27.36 another PR

No comments: