About Me

My photo
I am a biology teacher by day but a crazy triathlete and runner at all other times.

Monday, May 14, 2012

Stitches are out!

Most of my stitches came out today!! Only three in the front are still there. I knew I was healing really well all of a sudden because a couple of the stitches were becoming embedded in my skin and I was watching my skin grow around them daily. It was the scariest thing because I knew they needed to come out and knew it would probably be painful to get those out. It wasn't as painful as I thought though. I did ask why I was suddenly healing appropriately and my doctor had said the body does strange things sometimes. This means tomorrow is the big day. Chemo starts with carboplatin, taxotere, and herceptin. We will soon see how chemo is going to effect me. The interesting thing is that I know everyone thinks it will effect me immediately but after talking with the nurses and my oncologist, most of the side effects will be two to three days later when some of the medications they give me wears off. This week will be an interesting one though. I have chemo tomorrow. I have to get a neulasta injection on Wednesday to make sure my white blood cells stay high during the next three weeks. I have to stop by and get the bib numbers for the corporate challenge too. Then we have the corporate challenge on Thursday - which I am planning on walking if I feel up to it. I like that I have things planned but can opt out if necessary from some of them. It makes it easier to feel normal during this process. On a side note, I asked for a tentative run start date and I was told 2 weeks!!! I can't wait. People don't realize that I remember how it feels to start running, I did that in 2001 and it sucked. I never wanted to ever get back to that point. Now I will be excited to do 1/4 mile and oh boy will it be slow! It will be awesome any way you look at it!

No comments: