About Me

My photo
I am a biology teacher by day but a crazy triathlete and runner at all other times.

Monday, March 26, 2012

Reading, reading, and more reading

I have been doing a lot of reading on the ways to make sure cancer doesn't come back. I have finished the book Crazy, Sexy Cancer Tips by Kris Carr (another NY native) and am currently reading AntiCancer: A New Way of Life by David Servan-Schreiber. I watched the movie Forks over Knives too. Along with all of the other informational packets that the doctors have given to me and the research I have done on-line, I am struggling with what type of diet I should be maintaining. I feel like I have maintained a healthy diet prior to being diagnosed with cancer including 5 years when I was a vegetarian but I still got cancer. I am not exactly interested in becoming a vegan (and I can tell you that my husband is NOT becoming a vegan) but there seems to be a lot of research that shows that vegan diets are the best at preventing cancer from returning. On the other hand, materials that are being given out by doctors offices are telling people they need to eat a high protein diet - which from my scientific background I disagree with completely. One piece of material that I was given actually said "Do not eat fresh fruits and vegetables the week after your chemo treatment." I questioned this immediately as I eat tons of fresh fruit and veggies as part of a whole foods, mostly plant based diet. I was told that as long as I cleaned them well and knew that I knew where they came from, I should be fine. I am also struggling to plan my chemo diet. The information given to me is very contradictory. I know I will figure this out as I am going through the process but I also would like to be able to plan for it as well. I am using a cook book that was given to me by my friend Jeanne called The Cancer-Fighting Kitchen to find a few recipes that will help me through chemo. I know that I may be atypical in that I am obsessed with my diet and exercise but I would think that there would be a general consensus on what people should eat but that would be too easy. Plus, I know that people with estrogen and progesterone positive cancers should stay away from estrogen promoters like soy products and possibly flax. Did you know how many things have soy in them? Read the food labels! It's in everything! I have requested to speak to a nutritionist but my insurance company has not approved my request yet. I am disappointed about this. I have read that many cancer centers around the country give patients a complementary nutritionist appointment but this is something that is lacking in the St. Peter's program (although my doctors are fantastic, the wellness side of their program isn't well developed). I am still looking for answers at this time.

No comments: