About Me

My photo
I am a biology teacher by day but a crazy triathlete and runner at all other times.

Monday, March 26, 2012

A Few Things I have learned... so far

I have learned many things about life and myself so far. Here are a few of the highlights:
1. After the flood in August and my diagnosis, I realize that people are good! I am so overwhelmed by the love, support, and help that my family and friends have been giving us. I can honestly say that when Joe gets home from work, he heats up the dinner that someone has brought over so we can sit for the next 30 minutes and talk to each other and then he cleans me, my drains, helps me get my clothes ready for the next day, and then he takes a shower, helps me get into bed and goes to sleep. I cherish this 30 min with him when we are just equals and if he had to cook every night for us as well as do everything else, we would never just be with each other. Joe is also thankful for those who have come and taken me somewhere. He gets to just clean the house without having to cater to me and try to do laundry and take care of the house. I thank everyone who has helped up!
2. Slowing down my mind which went at super speed before may be beneficial. I can say that I am more relaxed now that I was before cancer surgery.
3. I have always been a person who will say yes to a lot of things but now I know that I can say no. At this moment, I am the most important person in my life. This thought process is what will allow me to make the best decisions for me during this healing process.
4. I am stronger than I even knew! This makes me more motivated to make sure I am doing what I need to do to make sure that I am focusing on myself this next year during the cancer treatments.
5. I am grateful for everyone around me. I am grateful for an early diagnosis. I am more willing to be forgiving because of this. The negative energy is not worth being surrounded with. I am happy to be thinking positive thoughts and hope positive energy is around me.
6. I LOVE to RUN!!!! Oh, how much I miss running and biking! I feel like we took away my best friend and I know that they will return but not at the strength or comfort level that I had once experienced. I have not taken any runs or bike rides for granted after I was diagnosed. Even on bad days, at least I had the capacity to run and it showed me that I was alive. Walking is great but it isn't the same.

There are more to come!

1 comment: