About Me

My photo
I am a biology teacher by day but a crazy triathlete and runner at all other times.

Monday, July 13, 2009

Boilermaker 2009

The Utica Boilermaker 15 K is so much fun that we keep going back year after year. This year instead of trying to race the course, I was trying to enjoy my taper, go for my long run of the week, and feel strong and ready for Ironman which is 2 weeks away. Mission Accomplished!!!

I enjoyed the weather which was high 60's with no humidity. I enjoyed the company. Running with Melinda was fantastic. We weren't in a rush, we were enjoying the scenery, and we were talking about Ironman and other random things. We talked about how people who have never experienced an Ironman don't really understand what to expect for their first Ironman experience and there is no real way to prepare them for it. We talked about Newton shoes and my new cruiser (which I get to purchase after I finish Ironman). We talked about weddings and half marathons. It was a good day.

I finished in a 1hour 46 min time which was fine for my goal. I felt great the entire time.

The fun of boilermaker is summed up with all of the random things that I saw. Here is a list of some of them:
A man in a FX Max Beer Can
A man dressed as "ShamRock" man
A man dressed as a chicken
A woman dressed as a fairy
A turtle at the Utica Zoo
A donkey at the Utica Zoo
Two very large rabbits at the Utica Zoo - I think that there were two
Kelly's Popcicle Stand - and yes, I had a popcicle
A little boy playing in band with lots of adults
A Leprachaun giving out Irish Luck
Nic and the Nice Guys - the band at the after party
Good beer - Saranac Pomagranite Wheat Beer
Snow Cones - the only time during a year where I get to indulge in a snow cone
A very round man playing a fake guitar in front of very large speakers
Two little girls named Lila cheering for their moms - I have never seen another child named Lila other than my niece
A really skinny man with "I Need A Beer" written on his back
Lots of Ink!!!

These are just a few of the things that were there along with streets lined with bands, people, cowbells, and much more. This is an amazing race!!!

Just as a side note, Joe ran it in 58 minutes - he has never run it faster than an hour. He is in fantastic shape.

Another side note, by this time in 2 weeks, I will be an Ironman!

No comments: