About Me

My photo
I am a biology teacher by day but a crazy triathlete and runner at all other times.

Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Boilermaker 2008

This is the race that Joe and I look forward to every year. This race is probably one of the best I have ever been a part of. It has so much crowd support that it is impossible not to have a smile on your face the entire 9.3 miles. I love this race. Joe and I left Keene Valley on Saturday morning to go to packet pick-up and meet with Erich, Mimi, and Jimmy. The trip out was good. I slept most of the way. We passed the Hinkley Reservoir and I decided that next year I am bringing my bathing suit and wetsuit and swimming there on the way to Utica. Next year it will be the week before the Ironman so I will want to get in a swim that weekend too.

The packet pick-up and expo is always fun. There are lots of people, you get a pint glass, and get to look at all different races that come out to promote their race. I didn't find a really good shirt this year so my pint glass is the only thing I have to remember the race. We ran into old friends and chatted and had a great time just wandering around. Joe and I went to eat after that and then Erich, Mimi, and Jimmy came to the hotel to get the race lowdown as this would be their first Boilermaker attempt. After they left to go to their final resting place of the evening, Joe and I went out to have dinner and get ice cream. Joe hadn't been feeling well all week and was slightly optimistic that he would feel better in time to run the race. After dinner though, Joe did not feel well at all and his dreams of running the race this year were halted.

I woke up at 5:30 am on race day, got changed and ready and took off alone for the race. It was actually raining!!! I got really excited as I run really well in the rain. As I was waiting for the start though, the rain subsided and it got a little warmer out. It was by far the best race conditions in the past 5 years. I am also in arguably better shape than I had been for any of the other years. The race started and I waited for about 7 minutes until I got to cross the starting line but then the fun began. The international mile, the sign that said "My wife is already at the 5K finish drinking beer!", the Utica residents happy and loud, the road side bands playing fun music, the DJ's out with their vans playing music, the lama and goat at the Utica zoo, the leprechaun giving out luck as you finished the last .5 miles of the race, and the fantastic volunteers at the aid stations. Kelly's Popsicle Stand was handing out ice pops and because I was out there having a lot of fun this year, I had a banana Popsicle when I went past. This race is phenomenal. I even tried with great success these new Power-bar gummy things which were great. The ice stations were very helpful in keeping me cool. I ran it in a 1:40.24 which I think may be a PR. Last year was probably my best Boilermaker experience though as Joe and I both wore T-shirts that said "Just Married and this is our honeymoon." People liked to comment on those shirts and we left for Jamaica the next day. This year was a close second though although my Joey wasn't there waiting for me at the end as he has been every other year.

I spent the next 40 minutes after the race having a sno-cone, drinking half of a beer, getting my lunch and eating the potato chips, having a vitamin water, and looking for Erich, Mimi, and Jimmy. Found them all and talked for a while. The morning was a success and the beginning of my marathon training . Rock N Roll San Antonio here I come!!!

Next up: Signing up for 2009 Ironman Lake Placid on Monday, July 21. Mini tri later that evening, and then Race the Train in August.

No comments: