About Me

My photo
I am a biology teacher by day but a crazy triathlete and runner at all other times.

Friday, May 1, 2009

"The Academy Awards for Teachers"

I was given the honor this week of being selected by a student as the teacher who most impacted her high school career. She was awarded the Scholar Recognition by the Times Union (we were in the paper on Thursday) and got to choose a teacher who impacted her high school career and chose me. I am so excited and honored. There are a lot of things that go on everyday as a teacher that you do for students and don't get or expect anything in return but when you are recognized for your impact it is an amazing feeling. The dinner was at the Desmond and was just amazing. There were so many really smart students there and you knew you were surrounded by motivated/exciting teachers. I also saw Mr. McGurn there from Albany High School. He taught me world history in my sophomore year there. He was just amazing. I couldn't believe that he remembered me from so long ago (he had me in class in 1994-1995). He also said that "These are the things that, as a teacher, you will remember and cherish." When he found out that this was my first time being nominated, he told me to enjoy every moment of the evening and remember it on the hard days. He said that he was proud of me for all that I had accomplished. He was also very modest. I asked him how many times he had been nominated and he said "enough but everyone is memorable". I later found out that he has been nominated 9 times!!! 9 times!!!! Amazing - he has touched so many lives. He inspired me!! What an amazing teacher. He is the reason that I have my students do article summaries every Friday to keep up to date on current events in science - I am sure my students don't feel as excited about this assignment and where I got it from as I am. I also saw another friend that I used to work with at Burnt Hills that was also nominated this year. It was so nice to share this moment with someone else. The key note speaker was very good with his speach being titled "What's on your I-pod". He emphasized that everyone has a soundtrack to their lives - I completely agree as I have songs that are attached to all of my most memorable experiences. He emphasized working hard but also "experienceing" life as it comes to you. I thought it was amazing. My student was so fabulous to me. Her parents had fantastic things to say to me. I feel so honored to be seen as someone who has made a difference in someone else's lives. There is a quote that says something like, If you have affected one child over the course of your teaching career, you have done a good job. It is times like this that makes you want to be a better teacher and gives worth to your time in the classroom. I am just so excited!!! It is such an honor!!!! I just can't believe that I was selected. I can't even express how happy and honored I feel. This student was just fabulous to have in class and work with through NHS and her club - it has been my pleasure to have taught her twice (both in biology and AP Biology) over the past 4 years. What an amazing experience!

No comments: